Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Foodie Files

While this beer battered asparagus recipe may not be the healthiest way to enjoy your veggies, it's a fun and delicious way and there's something to be said for that.  Even though I'm not much of a beer drinker (excepting only my Dad's brews), I've always loved a good beer batter.  I used a Newcastle Brown Ale and loved it, though I'm sure a variety of other beer would've worked as well (though might I suggest the "don't cook with alcohol you wouldn't drink" guideline applies).  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup beer
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
Vegetable oil, for frying

Heat the oil to 375 degrees (I just bought a frying thermometer so I was pumped to christen it...if you don't have one just set your flame to medium high and wait for the oil to ripple...it should take about 4-5 minutes).


Whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and lemon zest until thoroughly combined. Then whisk in the beer.  Dip asparagus into the batter a few at a time. 


Cover completely, shake off excess batter and place in the oil to fry.  After about a minute remove each stalk, dip it in the batter a second time and place back in the oil.  Fry until golden brown.


 Line a cookie sheet or sturdy plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.  Serve immediately or place in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment