Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Foodie Files

Ever had one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments when two of your friends start dating each other?  It's happened to me on more than one occasion...he's great, she's great, they're just perfect together...how did I not see it until now?  Now, take that feeling and multiply it by a factor of at least two...that's pretty much what I experienced when I saw Mexican brunch on a menu for the first time (I'm willing to admit I may be too enamored with food).  I just couldn't believe it hadn't crossed my mind!  They're both so delicious!  After ordering many a Mexican brunch entree from many a fine eating establishment, I realized it was time to try making some myself.  I gave huevos rancheros a whirl last weekend and my only regret is not adding it to my rotation sooner in life.  I may even bust this one out for company (so you know it's good).  In terms of this exact recipe, I've got the flavors down but the presentation still needs some work.  I'll ask my Dad to give it a go next time I see him and let you know what he comes up with...he's the presentation king.  As for now...presentation, shmesentation (earmuffs Papa) the taste is on point!

Ingredients:
1 TBS sofrito
small sliver of butter
2 eggs
1 corn tortilla
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp chopped cilantro
1 TBS sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium frying pan, heat sofrito over a medium flame for about 2 minutes.  Add butter, mix, and cook for another minute or so.  Add eggs and salt and pepper to taste.  Cover pan with lid and cook until the whites appear solid, about four minutes.  


In a separate pan, heat oil over a medium high flame until a small splash of water makes it sizzle (side note: be careful).  Fry tortilla for 15-30 seconds a side, then dab dry with a paper towel.


To plate your meal, place eggs on tortilla.


In a separate bowl, mix cubed avocado, chopped cilantro and lemon juice.  Add to dish and finish with a sprinkling of cheese (and a sprig of cilantro for garnish).

0 comments:

Post a Comment