Monday, January 9, 2012

Leanne Shapton, the Brilliant

What I've recently lacked in real people crushes, I've found I more than make up for in things like....shoe crushes and restaurant crushes and- in this particular case- art crushes.  It's a complicated life, but apparently someone's gotta live it.  I've been dwelling on this one all weekend, and since paintings aren't best known for their Facebook walls (the traditional way to obsess over a crush), I've had to find alternative means of investigation.  Needless to say, I've done my fair share of Googling over the last few days.  And here's what I found: the artist's name is Leanne Shapton and she's even more talented than I initially suspected.  Not only is she a massively creative artist, she's also an acclaimed author.  Rumor has it her second book Important Artifacts and Personal Property From the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion and Jewelry (yes, that's the book's name...did I mention she may be just the slightest bit eccentric?) will eventually be released as a movie (starring Brad Pitt and Natalie Portman, no less).  There's no denying Shapton is wildly talented, but after scouring her work in publishing, art direction, illustration, and writing- my favorites were her lettering and design pieces and flower series paintings.  I pulled a few for you to check out...there's just something about them I'm really feeling.







0 comments:

Post a Comment