Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Foodie Files

I've never been much of a pie person.  That's terrible, right?  I mean, it sounds downright un-American.  It's not that I dislike pie, it's just that- up until recently- I'd never craved it.  With the exception of a few moments during various Pushing Daises marathons, I'd never so much as thought about pie.  But weirdly enough, I've been desperate for a homemade peach pie for the last three weeks or so (out of the blue and for the first time ever).  Weirder still, when I finally got around to making it yesterday and googled "peach pie" for a few hints on what on earth a recipe might look like, I discovered it was National Peach Pie day!  Am I the only one who thinks thats the craziest thing ever!?  My non-excitable brother and cousin weren't quite as awestruck about my discovery, but I stand by the fact that that's amazing.  I was pretty thrilled at how the pie came out, especially since it was my first attempt (although how could I go wrong on National Peach Pie Day)!  What I ended up making was a variation of this recipe, although I definitely adjusted a few items.  Hope you enjoy it!  And happy belated National Peach Pie Day!

Ingredients:
1 package pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 egg, beaten
5 fresh peaches
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Before you get started, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and set water to boil in a large pot.  Lightly score the bottom of each peach with an X, then toss 'em in the boiling water to blanch for 2 to 3 minutes.  Use a slotted spoon to transfer peaches to an ice-water bath to stop the cooking.


Peel the skins off with a paring knife...they should come off extremely easily (many thanks to Martha Stewart for the inside scoop on how to skin a peach.  I'd still be hacking away at it if I hadn't known to blanch it first). 


Once all the peaches are skinned, cut them in cubes and place them in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and mix gently. 


Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Brush with some of the beaten egg.  


In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pour over the peaches, and mix gently. 


Pour into the pie crust.



Cover with the other pie crust and fold the edges under.  Flute the edges to seal or press the edges with the tines of a fork dipped in egg.  Brush the remaining egg over the top crust.  Cut several slits in the top crust to vent steam.  


Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is brown and the juice begins to bubble through the vents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment