Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Busy Bees

I'm a firm believer that the most interesting man in the world character is based on my Dad.  He makes wine from grapes he grew in his vineyard.  He bakes world famous pizza in his outdoor brick oven.  He has two bee hives.  And yes, his reputation is expanding faster than the universe.  But back to the bees, cause there's an interesting story there.  I was actually terrified of bees before my Dad took up beekeeping.  The idea of inviting a few thousand to live in the backyard was...less than desirable to me.  But when I came to visit and had the opportunity to see them in action, I realized how focused and non-threatening they are.  I'm not sure what was more shocking for me, the fact that they'd let me walk right up to their hive without scaring/acknowledging me, or the fact that I was all of a sudden the type of person that walks up to beehives.  Either way, embracing a fear like that sort of made me feel like Batman (although Bee Girl doesn't have a very good ring to it).  Over the last year, I think I actually started liking the little guys (though I still consider wasps public enemy #1, for the record).  I'll put together a post about our bees sooner or later...in the meantime, enjoy these bee-inspired items.


1. Keeping Bees, Amazon $12.78  2. Hive Honey Set, A+R Store $99  3. Crocheted Bumble Bees, Etsy $19  4. Natural World Dessert Plate, Anthropologie.eu £16.00  5. Beeswax Lip Balm, Burt's Bees $3  6. Bee Brooch, Stella & Dot $39  7. Photo Credit: We Heart It.

0 comments:

Post a Comment