Monday, December 6, 2010

Theme-a-palooza

My Mom is fiercely committed to everything in her life…her family, her work, her church...everything but her Christmas décor.  She reserves the right to change the decorating theme each year and in my twenty-five years I’ve pretty much seen it all.  Just when you think she couldn’t possibly think of a new concept, she busts out with a Christmas interpretation of something like ‘fruit’ or ‘musical instruments’ (both real examples).  And year after year, she pulls it off beautifully. There’s no need to change things up entirely every year (although, speaking from experience, I can tell you it’s a lot of fun), but if you see an idea you love, you can always start collecting pieces for future use.  Here are a few of my favorites. 

Winter White

Perhaps the easiest theme to incorporate is Winter White.  White is such a clean, fresh color…it makes spaces look bigger and can breathe life into the dullest of rooms.  It’s a simple way to unify decorations throughout your house and won’t be going out of style…well…ever.  Win, win- don’t you think?




Photo Credit: Janis Nicolay

Birds of a Feather

At the risk of pulling a line from ‘The Notebook’, I’ve gotta say…If I was an animal, I’d want to be a bird.  I love how delicate and free they are.  My favorite way to incorporate birds into a Christmas theme is by using varieties that are synonymous with Winter (like the Cardinal) or have ties to Christmas (Partridge in a pear tree, turtle doves, etc.).  A color palate of reds, deep greens and all shades of brown keeps your design rustic and natural...but you can always jazz things up if your heart so desires.





Photo Credit: Gridley & Graves

Organic Chic

If, like me, you have ever asked yourself the question ‘What Would Anthropologie Do?’- you may want to consider an organic-chic holiday look.  This theme takes full advantage of materials like yarn, paper, wood, burlap, felt and the like.  Perfect for young adults, do-it-yourself-ers, and activists of any variety.

             






0 comments:

Post a Comment