Thursday, September 23, 2010

Love Your Laundry

I'm thankful for a Dad who's involved in the little and big things in my life...whether he's calling to remind me to get my oil changed, sending me 100 roses on Valentine's Day, or yelling out 'that's my baby' when I'm waking down the aisle as a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding- he always makes a point to let me know I'm important to him.  Every couple of days he'll send me e-mails with blog ideas because he knows writing these posts is not only something I enjoy doing, but something I value being a part of.  I use a lot of his suggestions so I wanted to point some credit in his direction and, of course, thank him for finding yet another way to show me he cares.  The other day he sent a link with some tips on cleaning your washer and dryer that I felt warranted some attention.  There are a few appliances I think of in terms of facilitating cleaning rather than requiring cleaning, and my washer and dryer are perched at the top of that list.  When I stop to think about it, I guess they really must be in need of some TLC.  According to the article, the following should be completed about twice a year.  Here are the steps, straight from thewww.managemylife.com maintenance plan.  
  1. 1.Clean your washer. First, remove germs and detergent buildup by running an empty load with hot water and two cups of chlorine bleach or white vinegar (see your owner's manual for recommendations for your washer). In the middle of the wash cycle, add 1/2 cup of detergent. Let the load run the full cycle.
  2. 2.Remove any stains on the washer drum with a soft abrasive cleanser and a sponge.
  3. 3.Clean your dryer vent hose — doing so regularly helps prevent fires. Just unhook the clamps, dryer vent hose or ductwork from the back of the machine and the wall vent. Vacuum out both ends and inside the hose, then reattach the hose firmly to the machine and the wall vent. Use aluminum tape to reattach the ductwork joints.
  4. 4.Check the interior dryer drum for stains:
    1. To remove gum, let the dryer tumble on the hot setting for 10 minutes. When it stops, soak a dryer sheet in a clothing stain remover and wipe the gum with the dryer sheet.
    2. To get out crayon, ink or fabric-dye stains, spray inside the dryer drum with a non-flammable household cleaner. Dampen a clean rag with water and wipe the inside of the drum. Throw clean old towels in the dryer and run in Air Dry for 10 minutes to remove residue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment